Kitchen Renovations: Some Top Tips for Remodeling Your Home
December 15, 2020
Projects like kitchen and bathroom remodeling in Phoenix, AZ require a lot of planning, for everything from how you use the space to the kinds of finishes that will best complement each other. Here’s an overview of some of the best tips we have for people who are preparing to undergo kitchen remodels to transform their homes:
- Leave plenty of room for walking: One common mistake people make is trying to cram so much into their kitchen remodel that they simply don’t leave themselves enough floor space. You should make sure you have paths of at least 36 inches wide throughout the kitchen to give yourself plenty of space to walk while carrying items. Paths in the cooking zone should be 42 inches wide if you’re planning on just one cook, or 48 inches wide if you will be cooking with a partner.
- Keep the cooktop out of the way: Designing the kitchen with the cooktop away from traffic will make it that much more difficult for children to get in the way or potentially burn themselves.
- Make the refrigerator accessible: While the cooktop should be out of the way, the refrigerator should be easily accessible both to people just walking through as well as to anyone working on cooking or cleanup.
- Know what you want out of your island: If you’re going to have a kitchen island, you should make sure you have a specific function in mind for it. If you want to use it for both food prep and eating, make sure there’s more than enough space, and that the cooktop is separate from the eating area.
- Plan around the range: It’s a good idea to have some open shelving right next to your range, where you can store commonly used cooking utensils, oils and spices. This will prevent you from having to walk away from the cooking area as much when using the stovetop.
- Give yourself a knife drawer: A lot of people forget to create a designated area for knife storage when planning their kitchen redesign. But having a spot specifically designed for knife storage is extremely handy, as it both keeps items off your countertops while also keeping knives away from the reach of children.
- Snack drawer: You might consider having a specific drawer designed for children’s snack foods or school lunch items. Put it within reach so they can easily grab it, if you allow your kids to get their own snacks.
- Plenty of outlets: Make sure you give yourself plenty of outlets throughout the kitchen, and that you’ve appropriately routed your wiring and have added any circuits as necessary. Today’s kitchens have more electrical appliances and equipment than ever, so having just two or three outlets is no longer going to be enough for most people.
These are just a few tips we like to give to people planning their new kitchen remodels. For more information about how we can help with kitchen and bathroom remodeling in Phoenix, AZ, contact Petrus Countertops and Remodeling today.
Categorised in: Kitchen Remodels