Choose the Best Countertop Surfaces to Minimize Germs in Your Kitchen
Now more than ever before, people are concerned about minimizing the presence of germs and contaminants in their homes. For these efforts to be successful, you have to start in the place that sees the most traffic and where most packages from the outside world end up: the kitchen. If you are remodeling your kitchen and want to make your home safer from germs, invest in these materials for countertops in Phoenix, AZ.
Not only does granite look absolutely stunning in any kitchen, it also helps protects your family from unwanted bacteria and pathogens. To properly clean your granite kitchen counters, avoid harsh cleaning solutions or bleach.
If you’d like to have granite countertops in Phoenix, AZ installed in your kitchen, make sure to work with a company like Petrus Countertops and Remodeling that understands the correct way to seal this material to reduce any chance of spreading germs throughout your home.
Laminate counters used to be considered cheap and unattractive. However, over the years, laminate manufacturers have really upped their games by producing some beautiful patterns and styles that look stunning. Many companies now offer antimicrobial laminates that are very effective at keeping germs at bay. For daily cleaning, use a soft cotton cloth and either soapy water or mild kitchen cleaning solution.
Made by combining natural minerals with polymers and resin, quartz countertops are not only hygienic but also extremely durable. Quartz is a nonporous material, which means there’s no place for bacteria to hide and spread. All you need to properly clean a quartz kitchen counter is a nonabrasive cloth, soap and water.
Solid surface counters
Over four decades ago, DuPont created Corian®, a blend of pure acrylic resin and natural minerals. Nonporous, stain resistant and grout free, this counter material is easy to clean and maintain. All you’ll need is a soft, cotton cloth and some warm, soapy water. Do not use window cleaners or harsh commercial cleaning solutions on these counters.
Maintaining a germ-free kitchen
Besides thoroughly wiping down your counters every day, there are other steps you can take to keep your kitchen clean and germ free:
- Set up a hand-cleaning station with liquid hand soap, sanitizing wipes for the faucet and handles and fresh hand towels and a hamper for dirty ones or a roll of paper towels with a garbage bin nearby.
- Wash your hands often, especially when preparing a meal or before eating.
- Clean up the area around you as you cook.
- Avoid letting dirty dishes, pots, pans and cutting boards pile up in the sink. Instead, wash them immediately after use.
- Do not allow raw meat to cross-contaminate other surfaces or cooking utensils.
- Take out the trash and recycling often.
- Create and stick to a daily cleaning routine for your kitchen. Assign specific chores to each member of your family.
- Regularly wipe down the surfaces that are touched the most often, such as the refrigerator door handle, drawer pulls and door knobs.
In the midst of a pandemic, families are doing everything they can to keep themselves and the people they love healthy. The team at Petrus Countertops and Remodeling takes all of the necessary safety precautions when installing new countertops in Phoenix, AZ. If you are interested in updating your kitchen counters, get in touch with us today.
Categorised in: Granite Countertops