Everything You Need to Know About Granite Countertop Maintenance
It’s nearly impossible to top granite when it comes to kitchen countertop materials. Besides adding value to your home, granite is long lasting, resilient and looks great in any setting. If there’s any downside to granite countertops in Phoenix, AZ, it’s that they require a little maintenance from homeowners. Keep reading to learn how to keep your countertops in pristine condition.
Here are a few quick tasks you can complete each day to preserve the look and feel of your granite countertops:
- Wipe down regularly: The top way to care for granite is to wipe down the stone every day. Wiping off any crumbs and debris will prevent scratches and keep your counters looking in great shape.
- Clean: Along with wiping them down with a soft rag, you’ll also want to clean them with warm water and a few drops of pH-neutral soap. There are plenty of cleaners on the market designed specifically for granite, so invest in one of those!
- Blot spills: As soon as you notice a spill, grab a paper towel or a cloth and blot it up. Letting spilled liquids sit on top of the stone for long periods will cause nasty stains that might not come out. After you’ve blotted the stain, dry the area with a cloth to ensure the moisture doesn’t penetrate the stone.
You’ve probably heard granite owners talking about sealing their countertops. That’s because sealing granite is one of the most important things a homeowner can do. Sealant provides an extra layer of protection against water, oil, grease and anything else your counters come in contact with. A good sealant can last for years without needing to be replaced, so you might not need to perform this routine annually. However, that’s not always the case. Check with your manufacturer to see what they recommend.
To seal the stone, pour the sealant on the counter and spread it evenly with a paper towel or rag. Let the sealant penetrate the surface for about 10 minutes and then use a soft cloth to buff it into a high shine.
Preventative care tips
Daily and annual maintenance should keep your granite countertops in Phoenix, AZ in good shape. That said, we recommend following these additional pointers to ensure your counters stand the test of time:
- Use hot pads: Setting a hot pan or skillet directly on the countertop is always a bad idea. Those hot items can burn the stone, causing irreparable damage and permanently tarnishing it.
- Use coasters: You’ll also always want to use a coaster with your beverages to help prevent the chance of staining. Glasses containing wine or juice should always have a coaster, as these liquids are more likely to cause damage.
- Avoid abrasive cleaners: Any cleaning solutions that contain ammonia, bleach or acids should be avoided at all costs. These cleaners might work to eliminate stains, but they’ll also cause ugly fading.
Having great-looking countertops starts with where you buy them. For the best granite countertops in Phoenix, AZ, come to Petrus Countertops and Remodeling. All of our granite counters are built to fit, so you know they’ll look great in your home.
Categorised in: Granite Countertops